Sunday 26 January 2014

Happy Straya Day


The first thing I saw this morning when I looked outside was my neighbour's balcony across the street proudly shrouded in the Australian flag. My first reaction was 'bogan, redneck'. Why? Why has our flag become, to me anyway, a symbol of misplaced anger, a demonstration of nationalistic, one eyed, defiant, in denial, stubbornness. I know why, but it's still really hard to get others to understand let alone talk about it.

To me, the current Aussie flag doesn't represent everyone. It doesn't represent a unified, realistic and inclusive Australian culture. It only represents our colonial history. It represents England and white, anglo Australians. It doesn't represent our Indigenous heritage, it doesn't represent the hundreds of cultures that have migrated to Australia and the lineages of the majority of Australians. It doesn't represent our future, the many cultures and people yet to come here to make a life for themselves, particularly those currently trying to seek asylum. It doesn't represent the melting pot that Australia is and will continue to be.

The argument that most who defend our flag turn to is that their grandfathers fought under that flag and we should be waving it around now to remind us of their sacrifice. Well I reckon, so bloody what? Why should that stop us from discussing the idea that Australia is a unique and independent country and it has grown up and away from it's English heritage that whilst still important isn't the only aspect of our heritage that needs to be recognised and respected? Why would re designing our flag or becoming a republic mean to these people that we would forget that past? It wouldn't. It would just move us forward.

I think in holding on so tightly to this flag and waving it around with such aggressive and bombastic patriotism, they are actually doing themselves and the current flag a disservice. They are providing more reasons to change it and giving it increasingly negative connotations and meaning. 

So should we let it happen organically? I suppose. I wonder which government in the future will be brave enough to broach the subject? I guess the one that feels it has the support of the majority of Australians and I think that the time is sooner rather than later. Perhaps once the current government is gone because I don't think their conservatism and simplistic lowest common denominator politics will achieve anything of note in its term.

I like this, this is what it's all about, it's a great start anyway!






















This is fantastic too:



No comments:

Post a Comment